Sunday, December 2, 2012

Los Altibajos

As a language enthusiast, it's a lifetime foal of mine to become fluent in several languages (like I said, it's a lifetime goal). I am currently studying Spanish at my high school and a word on one of my vocabulary lists caught my eye: altibajos. The translation: ups and downs. I liked how Spanish summed it upped all in one word. It reflects how the two opposites really do come together in one package...
I have in my bookcase a truly inspired book, Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, written by Sarah Ban Breathnach. As my mom astutely put it, "I do believe she was touched by grace when she wrote that." The book is composed of 366 essays that gently teach us to find grand yet simple abundance in our everyday lives, cultivate a more fulfilling life, and above all find our authentic selves. The person we dream, both consciously and subconsciously, about becoming. I swear she has an essay over just about anything and I've discovered something new each time I open it. Even the entries I have read before hold new meaning when I revisit them. More pertinent to "altibajos," she also writes about embracing the bad days as well as the good. Although I know I still have a long way to go, I feel as though I have come a long way already. I've begun to discern what is important in the long run and to not agonize over the rest (But like I said, I've still got a long way to go). Metaphorically, my cloudy days are becoming sunnier. It's funny thinking about it actually because I often prefer real cloudy days to sunny ones. For me, the clouds relax my tension and put my heart at rest. Great weather to sit next to a window, reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment